Monday, September 17, 2012

So Yesterday



Chloe, a good friend from 9th grade threw out a party in celebration of her successful licensure exam for nursing. Amy and I are amiably invited considering we were like the power puff girls way back high school, plus we just met weeks ago for dinner after five long years apart. It was lovely seeing Chloe up there, partying for a well-deserved victory. I always knew Chloe would follow the footsteps of her parents as high paid nurses overseas. She’s almost there and I wouldn’t be so surprised if two or three years from now well be throwing a farewell party for her as she will also work overseas as a nurse. I couldn’t be any happier.

But the thing about showing up at High school friend's party is the great probability of seeing the rest of the high school crowd. Don’t get me wrong, I admire the slapstick among them but I'm not very much impressed with it. Can’t we just leave high school to where it should be? From the past and only printed in the pages of the year book because it’s awkward enough sharing a table of someone you used to date or someone you used to loath (or still loath).

I can’t believe it’s been six years and the pressure is still on, peer pressure that would be. I thought I’ve already escaped all the bullshit from high school but there it was, staring at my face for three long hours to be exact. If only I could scrunched my eyes tight so I wouldn’t see how they are and how they look, but I couldn’t; so I played my own twofold part. It surely was the most awkward three hours that I would rather play with Chloe’s sweet six year-old little sister.

Assessing the night, it’s quite clear to me now that I do have a lot and I mean a whole lot of unfinished business from high school. As far as I remember, I’ve always been a loner in high school. I reckon I only have few friends so few I can count them with my fingers. Thus now, sharing a table with some familiar faces I never considered a friend feels itchy as ever. The worst part is, it’s been announced that my batch mate will have a big reunion coming up in a couple of years. Guess what? I do have adverse thoughts about it – at least for now.

XOXO

1 comment:

  1. It will be awesome to have powerpuff girlfriends xD
    Congratulations to your friend who got passed her exams!
    How happy must she be?

    ReplyDelete